Thursday, September 10, 2009

Throttle and Pedals

Throttle and Pedals….

This last weekend, Greg and I set out on a epic little motorcycle and mountain bike excursion, and what else can I say, I had my first true vacation that I can remember in years! We hooked up with some cycling friends who were willing to take our mountain bikes and gear to Oregon for us.  So Greg and I hopped on the motos and I had my inaugural long distance trip on the BMW (aka Creampuff).  The longest I have ridden before the weekend was 12 miles.  This trip ended up being over 500 miles of highway, two lane country roads, wind, rain, darkness, the whole enchilada.  I was seriously initiated from the start.  Our trip over to Oregon was super windy, but I learned how to lean the bike into the wind and brace myself for the oncoming blast as semi trucks went by.  The first day was just 3 hours in the saddle to Boise, but my upper shoulders and neck were completely spent from being gripped and scared for most of the trip.  Day 2 was 7 hours in the saddle and I was forced to learn to relax and got the hang of it by the time we arrived at the McKenzie River campground in Oregon.

I will say that Oregon has some really great roads for motorcycles with fresh, black pavement, very little traffic and great scenery.  I was driving a bit like a granny on the curvy parts of the drive, but it didn’t matter because no one was behind me.  I’ll get a little faster once I get used to leaning the bike a bit more.  We met up with a big group of cyclist friends and camped right next to the river in thick, green forest.  It’s so lush over there, you expect hobbits and trolls to jump out from behind the trees.  The Alpine trail, near Oakridge, was on the agenda for the next day of riding.  This trail is well-known for the 100 mile Creampuff race.  I’ve never done the race but had heard about it being the best single track ever.  The climb was a bit uninspiring, 2.5 hrs or so on dirt road.  However, it was worth every second because the next 1.5 hours was all descending on smooth, swoopy, high speed single track through super green forest.  It was amazing.  Day 2 of mountain biking was the McKenzie River trail, voted #1 trail in the US by Bike Magazine.  I pretty much agree with that too. I didn’t think it was possible to top the Alpine trail, but this one had all the super good single track with no fire road climbing.  It had a bit of everything from technical lava rock riding to super fast cornering, along with waterfalls and exposed cliff edge riding.   It rained the whole day on us for the McKenzie ride, but you couldn’t really tell because the trees are so thick they create a roof over your head.  I was glad to be wearing wool though.  These two trails were truly two of the best rides I’ve ever done.

The typical Oregon rain continued as we were preparing to drive to Bend.  This meant my first motorcycle ride in cold, wet, windy weather.  Thank goodness I have heated grips on my bike.  I layered up with wool long underwear, rain gear and tried to figure out how to keep my helmet face shield from fogging up.  The drive was actually really beautiful with the late afternoon clouds parting for sunset and views of the peaks around Bend.  We rode in Bend on the following day and hit some of their really fun built up trails with bridges, log crossings and other mad made features that made you grin.  I was away from email and phone for most of the four day trip and didn’t take or wear a heart rate monitor or odometer on my bike.  I kept no track of speed, distance, heart rate or training.  It was just a weekend of riding with friends on some brand new trails.  And working on my throttle arm fitness as well!

Next up is the Worlds Party in Ketchum this Friday to celebrate a great season and both mine and Greg’s repeat 24 hour solo wins this year!

Cheers

Reba

[Via http://rebeccarusch.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment